- Mixed syntax highlighting powered by CodeMirror
- Advanced features:
- Color theme can be modified using Firebug's CSS panel
- Highlighting is applied incrementally (good performance)
- Color themes available on GitHub
- Uses WebWorkers to perform parsing in a non-blocking fashion
Both Firefox and Firebug are moving targets. Please make sure you use compatible versions. I'm unable to test all possible combinations.
- Version 1.5 is tested to work with official Firebug 1.5 - 1.9 (Firefox 3.5 - 11.0)
Install this Firefox extension via addons.mozilla.com.
You need Firebug 1.5+ for the latest version to work.
If you are still stuck with Firebug 1.4, install version 1.0.
If you are still stuck with Firebug 1.2, install version 0.7.
Note: Some people have reported they are unable to download and install the extension via addons.mozilla.com. In this case you may try this workaround.
Install bleeding edge version from sources
git clone git://github.com/binaryage/firerainbow.git cd firerainbow rake
If everything went ok, you should be able to find your fresh XPI under
You can install XPI file in Firefox by opening it via File -> Open File ...
Themes are available at http://github.com/binaryage/firerainbow/tree/master/themes
Feel free to fork the project and contribute your very own theme.
- fixed compatibility with Firebug 1.9
- by default do not override font settings from Firebug
- marked as compatible with Firefox 5.*
- fixed compatibility with Firebug 1.8
- marked as compatible with Firefox 4.0
- updated CodeMirror to v1.0
- compatibility with Firebug 1.6 and early Firebug 1.7 alpha
- updated CodeMirror to v0.9
- CodeMirror wrapped into its own namespace (should resolve conflicts with other extensions)
- using WebWorkers to compute highlighting (better performance)
- fixed bug when coloring was not triggered for file when scrolled to the top
- fixed Firebug 1.5 compatibility and dropped Firebug 1.4 compatibility
- marked as compatible with Firebug 1.6
- robust colorization of compressed scripts with long lines (previously parser halted)
- updated parser to CodeMirror 0.61
- new home for themes in github project
- compatibility with Firebug 1.4
- updated parser to CodeMirror 0.60
- fixed glitch when script didn't get colorized on first display in Firebug 1.4
- tested to work with official Firebug 1.3 and Firefox 3.0.5 (worked also with alpha Firebug 1.4 and nightly Firefox 3.1)
- reimplemented for changes in Firebug 1.3 (not compatible with Firebug 1.2 anymore)
- added "Reset to default Color Preset" feature
- changed extension guid, to distinguish from 0.7
- added mixed HTML/CSS/JS coloring
- added "Randomize Color Preset" feature
- when installed with old firebug, error message is written into Firefox's error console
- fixed bug preventing proper coloring in some rare cases
- public beta release
- hacked first version for Firebug 1.2